exam for SAP HANA 2.0 (55a) was released in 2019.
The exam for SAP HANA 1.0 (55) was released in 2017.
For the blog posts about the SAP HANA 2.0 exams, see
- SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA 2.0 SPS04
- SAP Certified Application Associate – SAP HANA 2.0 SPS04
- SAP Certified Development Associate – SAP HANA 2.0 SPS04
Once you passed the exam, you will receive a digital badge from Acclaim:
- SAP Certified Technology Associate – System Administration (SAP HANA) with SAP NetWeaver 7.5 (C_TADM55A_75)
See the FAQ for more information about SAP Global Certification Digital badges.
Note that the latest SAP S/4HANA release no longer runs on SAP NetWeaver but on the ABAP Platform, which is not available as stand-alone product. Also note that the latest SAP S/4HANA release only supports SAP HANA as a database. SAP Netweaver 7.5 is supported until end of 2024 (see the product availability matrix and notes for the details).
SAP highly recommends that you have passed C_TADM55_75 or C_TADM55A_75 exam prior to taking exam SAP Certified Technology Specialist – SAP S/4HANA Conversion and SAP System Upgrade (E_S4HCON2019).
About the Exam
Information about the exam is published on the SAP Training website. This is also where you can book the exam (or get a certification hub subscription).
TADM is the code for SAP NetWeaver Technical Administration. The C_ stands for associate level type exam. There are different exams for different databases (50-56).
- C_TADM55a_75 = SAP HANA 2.0
- C_TADM55_75 = SAP HANA 1.0
- C_TADM50_75 = SAP MaxDB
- C_TADM54_75 = SAP ASE
- C_TADM51_75 = Oracle
- C_TADM56_75 = IBM DB2
- C_TADM70 = OS/DB migration
The difference between the exams mainly concerns the topic area database administration (see below). This blog only covers the SAP HANA exams.
The last two digits reflect the SAP NetWeaver release
- 75 = SAP NetWeaver 7.5
Earlier versions (70, 731, 74, 75) have expired and the delta exam (D_TADM55_75) is no longer available.
You can check the validity of the certification at training.sap.com/certification/validity.
Apart from C level exams (123), SAP also provides
- P (Professional) – currently only 5 listed including P_TSEC10_75 – SAP Certified Technology Professional – System Security Architect, which includes SAP HANA security topics (HA240).
- E (Expert) – currently only 9 listed, including E_HANAAW_14 – SAP Certified Development Specialist – ABAP for SAP HANA 2.0
For the certification FAQs, see
Information about the topic areas covered is listed on the exam information page.
Note the small print: SAP reserves the right to update the exam content (topics, items, weighting) at any time. Make sure to check the page before applying.
Major Topics >12%
- Database Administration
- Installation and Patching SAP Systems
- SAP Fiori (Fundamentals and Administration)
- Transport Management
- System Administration AS ABAP
Minor Topics <8%
- SAP System concepts
- System Administration (AS Java)
- Browser-based UI (Administrative Tasks)
- User Administration
How to Prepare
On the exam information page, SAP provides two recommendations
- SAP recommends that learners compile a personal learning plan using the Learning Journey, which contains all assets that are recommended to prepare for a certification. This includes courses in a classroom format or e-learnings available via an SAP Learning Hub subscription, SAP Live Access exercises and active collaboration in SAP Learning Rooms.
- SAP recommends combining education courses and hands-on experience to prepare for your certification exam as questions will test your ability to apply the knowledge you have gained in training.
The C_TADM certification is entirely based on SAP training courses and although not formally listed as a requirement, it will be challenging to pass the exam without taking any classes (be it in classroom or e-learning format). If classroom training brings you bad memories, consider a SAP Learning Hub subscription. There is a trial edition available for you to try it out.
The topic areas are covered in the following courses (consultant academy trainings).
- TADM10 Technical Implementation and Operation I for SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business Suite – 10 days
- TADM12 Technical Implementation and Operation II for SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business Suite – 10 days
- TADM55 SAP HANA 2.0 SPS03 Installation & Administration (= HA200) – 5 days
Alternatively, you can follow the track from the learning journey but this takes a considerable detour: 36 days instead of 25!
- SAPTEC – 4 days
- ADM100 – 5 days
- ADM103 – 3 days
- UX100 – 3 days
- UX200 – 2 days
- ADM800 – 5 days
- ADM325 – 5 days
- ADM110 – 4 days
- TADM55 (HA200) – 5 days
The learning journey shows a visualisation of the courses to take. You can logon and mark your progress.
The tiles for each of the courses show the available formats: classroom and e-books. When subscribed to the learning hub, you also have access to an SAP HANA system for hands-on exercises (Live Access). The assessment contains the sample questions from the course.
There is no certification guide for any of the C_TADM exams. A guide on C_HANATEC_16 is work in progress but this only covers the Database Administration topic area.
SAP Help Portal
For the Database Administration topic area (TADM55 or HA200) most material is also covered in the installation and administration guides of the platform on the SAP Help Portal. Unfortunately, the administration guide alone counts well over 2,000 pages and contains a lot of information you do NOT need to know. The same is true for the documentation of SAP NetWeaver: too much, too many. Passing the exam on documentation study is not realistic but doing some extra study by reading relevant parts in the guides can be helpful.
SAP ONE Support Launchpad
In the training manuals and documentation, many. references are made to SAP notes and knowledge base articles (KBAs). Although the articles are not part of the study material, reading the notes is always a good idea to strengthen your understanding. You need a S- or P-user account to access the launchpad.
Also note of the many excellent FAQ articles. As with the documentation guides, this will cover more material than you will need to know but it does provide an excellent resource.
On the exam page, there is a link to a PDF with 9 sample questions. Answers are provided (but no explanations).
Questions, Comment, Suggestions
Anything I missed? Do not hesitate to post your questions or comments below.
Good stuff? Give it a like and share on social media. Much appreciated!
If you would like to receive updates, connect with me on
Denys van Kempen
SAP HANA 2.0 – An Introduction
Just getting started with SAP HANA? Or do have a migration to SAP HANA 2.0 coming up? Need a quick update covering business benefits and technology overview. Understand the role of the system administrator, developer, data integrator, security officer, data scientist, data modeler, project manager, and other SAP HANA stakeholders? My latest book about SAP HANA 2.0 covers everything you need to know.
Get it from SAP Press or Amazon: