One of the minor annoyances of upgrading in SAP S/4HANA is that occasionally you may find changed or outdated SAP Fiori business catalogs that need to be corrected. These usually manifest themselves as:
- Apps that do not appear in your launchpad page(s) or App Finder or Search even though they are assigned to your business catalog(s)
- Apps that appear in some clients but not others, even though the app is assigned to your business catalog(s) in all clients
- Business Catalog is assigned to the role but does not appear in the App Finder
App Finder is missing a business catalog assigned to the business role
- Errors when you select a tile or link such as: “Navigation is not possible because your role is not assigned a business catalog that contains the navigation target #<SemanticObject>-<action>”
Error message Navigation is not possible because your roles is not assigned a business catalog that contains the navigation target
In this blog post you will learn how to quickly overcome them.
Generally, these issues come from a mismatch between the cross-client and client-specific versions of the same business catalog. There are 2 main causes:
- Primarily because in earlier releases the recommendations on whether to place catalogs in the cross-client or client-specific scope was less strict. On upgrade, the catalog is reassigned to the correct scope layer and this can result in mismatches.
- Unintentional or deliberate changes made in the Launchpad Designer.
- This older tool had few protections against making client-specific changes to SAP catalogs and custom catalogs. The Launchpad Designer is now deprecated and the new tools – i.e. the Launchpad Content Manager and Launchpad App Manager – provide better scope visibility and avoid these errors.
You can find a detailed explanation of these Scope-related Issues with Setting up Launchpad Content in the Fiori launchpad Administration Guide in the SAP Help Portal.
The Launchpad content manager provides some easy ways to find and fix these issues.
The quickest way to find outdated and changed catalogs is to use the Launchpad Content Manager (i.e. transaction /UI2/FLPCM_CUST). You can launch the transaction in SAP GUI or from the Fiori Administrator’s launchpad using the tile FLP Content Manager: Client-Specific.
Fiori Administrator role showing the FLP Content Manager: Client-Specific tile
Hint: The Fiori Administrator user and their launchpad assignment can be automatically generated using task list SAP_FIORI_FOUNDATION_S4 as shown in the openSAP microlearning Activating